Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Comment here for membership

UPDATE: We are not accepting new members at this time. But please feel free to comment on posts that members have put up. Your posts will be moderated, so they may take a little while to be added to the conversations. When we do open membership again, the non-members who have been regularly contributing valuable and interesting comments will receive contributor invitations via e-mail.

-----

On Brad Warner's blog, Hardcore Zen, JohnDoe suggested that people might be interested in an "open blog." This sounded like an interesting idea to me, so I set this up. JohnDoe suggested some rules, here they are, slightly modified:

1. I'll give membership/posting privileges to anyone who puts their e-mail address in a comment below. I reserve the right to revoke those privileges at any time, for any reason. Most especially posting offensive material. But also flooding the blog with post after post of irrelevant stuff. Let's mostly keep the focus on Zen, OK? NOTE: membership is not required to comment on other people's posts. Just to make new posts, headlines, etc.

2. The owner acts as a silent host not a content provider... sometimes. I'll post stuff too, but I expect to be a minor contributor, equal to everyone else. I'm just the guy who volunteered to enforce the rules and be the target of vitriol for people who don't like the way things are going.

3. The owner reserves the right to remove authors and content which is deliberately offensive or illegal. This rule is arbitrary and final. Posters and commentors are expected to treat others with respect. I will try to keep a hands-off policy as much as possible. Arguing is expected, but keep it polite. No personal attacks, name-calling, etc.

4. The owner reserves the right to freeze or nuke the blog. But that probably won't happen. If I lose interest, and there are other people who are still posting actively, I'll just make one of them the admin and remove myself from the member list.


I need your e-mail address in order to add you to the list of members for this blog. So if you want to write your own posts here, put your e-mail address in a comment below. Once I've sent you the 'blog member invitation', I'll delete your comment to help protect your e-mail address privacy.

When you get the member invitation in your e-mail, click the link in the message. That will take you to the blogspot.com login page. Log in, and you can put new posts on this blog. That's all there is to it!

-Jules

18 Comments:

At February 14, 2006, Blogger Jules said...

If your comment has been deleted from here, check your e-mail. You should have received a message with the subject line "Blogger blog invitation from Jules." Click the link in this e-mail, log in to your Blogger account, and you should be able to add new posts to the blog.

If your comment has been deleted from here but you didn't get any e-mail message, put another comment here... we'll get it fixed.

 
At February 14, 2006, Blogger DA said...

Cool, count me in,

I'd also like to apologize to Brad and Ryunin for talking shit, right off the bat. Whatever my disagreements, shit-talking solves nothing.

 
At February 14, 2006, Blogger Jules said...

I'm glad to do it, it really wasn't tricky or anything.

By the way, in regard to the "staying on topic" thing... I'd rather see people post lots of semi-on-topic (or even a few right-out off-topic posts) than not post anything for fear of breaking the rules. I'm not planning to play the enforcer any more than is really necessary to keep people interested and to keep the community lively. And any action I do take with regard to taking away privileges will be preceded by multiple warnings, so please go ahead and post and don't worry too much about the rules.

 
At February 15, 2006, Blogger roman said...

thank you, jules, for this idea

and i appreciate da's comments

i also suggest that whoever is interested may visit my blog and read my articles on zen - i am inviting you to do so not to focus on me personally because that is not the point, not being my fan or something but to ponder how a great teacher (no matter how much he is a kind of antiteacher) like Brad helped me to clarify things i was confused about for more than dozen years - not only Brad but the whole Dogen sangha realistic philosophy which was started by Kodo Sawaki and continued by roshi Nishijima na his students - within this sangha I am practicing now, specifically with Mike Luetchford - they all helped me to sort out something that was stuck in my brain - something stuck that was not very realistic

 
At February 15, 2006, Blogger Jules said...

Thanks, Ryunin, but I can't take credit for the idea. It was JohnDoe's idea. Hopefully he'll join too.

 
At February 15, 2006, Blogger Derek (formerly 'me') said...

Jules, great idea. Thanks! I'll get my mouth ready for some flapping...

 
At February 15, 2006, Blogger Addison Lande said...

hello- thanks for the invitttttation.

 
At February 15, 2006, Blogger aumeye said...

Sorry for this: I am leaving a test comment to see if I am able to. I tried following the directions in the email and was not successful. Should this get through and actually show up, Thank you, Jules.

 
At February 15, 2006, Blogger Jules said...

Hi Aumeye,
You don't need to follow the directions to post comments (like you just did). But to create new discussion topics like PA and Ryunin have on the front page, you need to click on the link in the e-mail invitation, and then log in with your name and password.

Then your name will appear in the list of Contributors, and you will be able to create new posts/discussion topics on the main page.

In case there was something wrong with the e-mail "invite" I sent you earlier, I'll send you another one.

 
At February 15, 2006, Blogger aumeye said...

Jules ~ You are a doll. ~

 
At February 15, 2006, Blogger Jules said...

Aww thanks.

 
At February 18, 2006, Blogger endofthedream said...

Jules, your efforts are appreciated. I'm looking forward to participating.

 
At February 18, 2006, Blogger endofthedream said...

My favorite quote attributed to Buddha (who knows what the hell the dude *really* said!). For me, these words contributed to a long sought sense of clarity. Enjoy!

Actions happen.
Deeds are done.
But there is no individual doer thereof.

 
At February 18, 2006, Blogger Jules said...

Hi Cromanyak & endofthedream,
Please post your e-mail addresses here so I can send you a Blogger Invite to join as contributing members. I wish there was another way, but this is how Blogger has it set up.

After you post your e-mail address here and I send you an invite, I will delete your comment that contains your e-mail address to protect your privacy. OK?

Thanks!
-Jules

 
At February 18, 2006, Blogger endofthedream said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At February 18, 2006, Blogger Jules said...

Since I promised to delete any comments that contain e-mail addresses in this section, please don't put a long and interesting comment here, and then put your e-mail address at the bottom of the same comment, because I hate to delete the whole thing. I'm quoting the main part of endofthedream's message here:

Another oldie but goodie which *really* says it all.......

You can describe it but in vain.
Picture it but to no avail.
You can never praise it fully.
Stop all your groping and maneurving.
There is nowhere to hide the True Self.
When the universe collapses,
It remains, indestructible.

(From Ekai's The Gateless Gate, Case 23 "Eno's Good and Evil")

I'm not a fan or advocate of koan study. Been there, done that. I didn't get much out of it (except a lot of disappointed grunts from the abbot with whom I was working...I even think I heard a mumble of "pathetic" on at least one occasion as I backed out of the dokuson room).

My experience has led me to agree with Brad: shikantaza is the "real deal." Still, for some, it seems that koans can be an effective hook, and who's to say what is appropriate for another?

 
At February 20, 2006, Blogger Jules said...

DB said: This is a short uninteresting comment whose sole purpose is to give you the following email address...

:-) Perfect.

 
At March 08, 2006, Blogger Erik said...

I'll not likely post a story, but having my comments appear right away is something too :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home