Friday, March 10, 2006

Shhh.

Thanks for the change of direction Jules, let's see where it leads.

I'm a big fan of poetry myself, especially poetry that opens possibilities rather than closing them down. There's a wonderful quote by the dramatist Jerzy Grotowski that might be apt here.

If a phenomenon can be defined as 'it is that, and only that,' that means it exists only in our heads. But if it has a real life existence, we can never hope to define it completely. Its frontiers are always moving, while exceptions and analogies keep opening up.


It is these possibilities that the best poetry points to.


Shhh.

Don't ask me to describe
the taste of my poison.

At the end of years of wandering
I've chosen a Friend. Don't ask who!

I weep in the doorway.

Last night I heard you saying
what cannot be said.

Now you motion to me,
Don't tell.

The pain of being in my room alone
is really what cannot be spoken.

So like Hafiz, I walk the love-road
aware in a way that has no name.

~Hafiz e Shirazi (Sufi Poet 1320-1389)

1 Comments:

At March 10, 2006, Blogger Jules said...

Nice, Gareth! I love Sufi poetry too.

--

An empty mirror and your worst destructive habits
when they are held up to each other,
that's when the real making begins.
That's what art and crafting are.

A tailor needs a torn garment to practice his expertise.
The trunks of trees must be cut and cut again
So that they can be used for fine carpentry.

Your doctor must have a broken leg to doctor.
Your defects are the ways that glory gets manifested.

-Jalaluddin Rumi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home